Law Office of Brian Turner Exclusively Representing Father’s Rights
Offering Flat-Fee Consultations
Call Or Email Today Email
View Our Practice Areas

What if you have no income and are ordered to pay child support?

Many dad's end up in a situation where they are no longer living in the same home as their children. Often, this is due to a divorce or breakup. However, in any situation where parents are not living together and the father is not living with the child, child support is usually ordered through the Texas court system. If you find yourself with a child support order but you do not have an income, you may wonder what you can do. 

The Spruce notes that child support orders are made to help the child. The income is meant to provide for the care of the child as he or she would get if the parents were still together. The court is mostly concerned, then, with the welfare of the child and how an order will affect him or her. This means that even if you do not have a job currently or any income, the court will still make an order for you to pay support. It sees this as your obligation. So, do not expect the court to remove the order simply because you cannot pay.

Fortunately, you do have some options. If your income has changed since the order was made, you can request a modification. While this will not erase your support obligation, it can reduce it. This will reduce the amount of debt you accumulate for missed payments.

It is essential to get the court involved. The support is monitored and handled by the state. If you do not pay, the state keeps track of how much is overdue. Fees and fines may be added to this amount. If you simply make an agreement with your child's mother, this will not change what the state is tracking. So, you must always go through the court to avoid issues with the state. This information is only intended to educate and should not be interpreted as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us

Success Starts With Setting Realistic Goals

I welcome the opportunity to answer your questions during an initial consultation and help you understand what we can accomplish together. Call or use my online contact form to schedule a meeting.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Office of Brian Turner
308 N. Washington Ave.
Bryan, TX 77803

Phone: 979-583-9200
Fax: 979-314-9533
Map & Directions

CALL 512-615-3300 today or send us an email Email