Assertive Legal Counsel In Parental Alienation Cases

In some divorces or at the end of a nonmarital relationship, a child may begin to exhibit a high degree of emotional detachment or an outward dislike for a parent. In some instances, this can result from an active attempt by one parent to alienate the child from his or her other parent.

Parental alienation occurs most often in highly contentious custody cases. The Law Office of Brian Turner, in Bryan, Texas, represents fathers in family law matters, including incidents of what is known as parental alienation syndrome (PAS).

If you are a father who stands accused of alienating your child against his or her other parent, you may be at risk of losing parental access and conservatorship. Contact me immediately so I can develop a legal defense strategy.

Understanding Parental Alienation Syndrome

PAS is much more than an occasional criticism by a former spouse. It involves an intentional or subliminal attempt by one parent to ruin the child's relationship with the other parent. It can have long-term psychological effects on the child, and may create emotional and social issues for a child that last into adulthood.

It is important to note that PAS can impact the outcome of a custody dispute, but it may also occur after a custody dispute has been resolved. Awareness of the signs of parental alienation is critical in order to catch it in time to take legal action before permanent damage has been done. Signs of PAS from your child may include:

  • Blaming you for breaking up the household
  • Disrespect or insulting to you, especially in front of others
  • Refusal to see or spend time with you
  • Refusal of gifts from you
  • Manipulation
  • Acting negatively toward you and your extended family
  • Making false accusations of abuse or neglect by you

Steps You Can Take

If you suspect your child's other parent is attempting to disrupt your relationship with your child, it is important to reach out to me. I will help you document examples of how your child is acting out against you, as well as how and when your relationship with your child transitioned from a healthy one to negative interaction in order to evaluate whether the child is alienated from the father.

Presenting a convincing case to a judge will require taking your child to a psychologist or psychiatrist for evaluation and presenting that professional's report in court. Only the most serious cases of PAS are likely to result in the court changing conservatorship or parental access orders. Still, it is better to act in these cases than to take no action at all and allow the alienation to develop further.

Work With An Experienced Brazos County Fathers' Rights Lawyer

If you feel your child's other parent is attempting to manipulate your child's feelings toward you, contact me immediately. I am an experienced family law attorney who knows what steps to take in these situations. Call 979-583-9200 to schedule a consultation.