Helping You Navigate Child Support Modification

Life changes following divorce can lead to child support modifications. Texas child support orders can be changed through a court hearing or through the child support review process (CSRP).

You may be able to change child support payments if it can be shown there has been a "material and substantial change in circumstances" since the existing child support order was set. Examples of this include:

  • An increase or decrease in the noncustodial parent's income
  • The noncustodial parent has become responsible for additional children
  • A child's educational or medical needs have changed

As a rule of thumb, if reconfiguring the monthly amount of child support results in an adjustment of 20 percent or $100 from the existing child support amount, a modification is necessary. The Office of the Attorney General has the right to review your income every three years to determine if such a change has occurred.

If the existing support order was approved in a different state, Texas courts can only modify the order if the child's new home state is in Texas. If your child's other parent lives in a different state, the Law Office of Brian Turner will help you navigate interstate modification matters. Contact us to get the answers you need.

Work With An Experienced Bryan Lawyer Regarding Support Modifications

Whether you are paying child support or receiving it, the Law Office of Brian Turner can help you navigate the process of modifying support payments. It is important to work with an attorney who understands Texas child support laws and the factors that pertain to support modification. I will protect your interests, as well as your child's.

I represent fathers in Brazos County in the full spectrum of family law matters. I work to resolve issues without litigating in order to help my clients retain more control over the outcome. This is certainly possible in matters involving modification. If you and your child's other parent can reach agreement, we can complete a court order and have it approved by a judge.

However, if a fair agreement cannot be reached through negotiation, I am prepared to represent you in court. Call 979-583-9200 or use my online contact form to schedule a consultation.